Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Homemade Vinegar Stain Pinterest Project



Happy Monday!!
Sorry I have been MIA I had a large custom
 pillowcase order that I was working on

Thought I would pop in and share another Pinterest Idea that I tried lately
 Have seen a lot of DIY stain recipes out there and
 I loved the sound of this one, Simple & Easy my kind of deal

Ingredients Vinegar + Steel Wool (I used fine grade) = weathered wood stain

I mixed two different jars one with White Vinegar & one with Apple Cinder Vinegar  I decided to try out the stain on a wine crate we had laying around in the garage. We got ours from a local liquor store after they advertised in the paper wine crates for sale. We got like 10 of them to use for storage in the garage and other stuff. Might not hurt to ask someone at your local store if they have any available maybe they would even give you some or give you a good deal on them.



Anyway I let the steel wool soak in the vinegar for a couple days
shake often just to mix real good 





I used a soft rag, dipped it in the White Vinegar 
mixture and applied it all over and inside 

You can use rubber gloves to apply if you are worried
 about your hands smelling. Mine didn't smell to bad 

You can see in the picture above the inside of the box is the color of the box before I applied the stain the outside is after the stain
The vinegar gives it a slightly weathered look, it brings out the grain more

I like how it looks after applying one coat but I decided to go a little further
and try a coat of the Apple Cider Vinegar on top to see what happens 
This time I used the Steel Wool inside of the mixture to apply the stain




And here is the finished product after a couple coats of the Apple Cider Vinegar mixture. The combo of the Steel Wool and the Apple Cider gave it  a dark
look., not sure which look I like better.
I applied a light furniture wax to it after I let it dry in the sun for a day
And I am now using this box as a place to store shoes by the front door

P.S. those boots are getting ready to hit my Etsy shop




Here it sits by the door, not to bad I think I like it there


4 comments:

  1. Oh.... it turned out just amazingly gorgeous! You have a real gift....


    Hugs x
    Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Newest follower here! I found you through the blog hop, you have a wonderful blog! I hope you stop by and say hello, I'm having a giveaway right now!

    Look forward to reading more.
    -Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the stain color it looks great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you know that anything that has to do with cowboy boots get my attention! What a great project. Thanks for sharing!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you, Thanks for stopping by